Miracle of Mouth Taping
I'm so excited to introduce you to the amazing world of mouth taping! I know, I know, it sounds kind of weird. But, this simple technique can have a big impact on your health and well-being. While there isn't any solid clinical research on this practice, many do swear by it for dry mouth, better sleep, less snoring and even anxiety. I have only been mouth taping for 5 nights, but so far I can tell the difference in my dry mouth. Mouth taping is a technique that involves placing a small strip of tape over your mouth at night while you sleep. This helps to keep your mouth closed and allows your body to properly rest and heal by breathing through your nose and not your mouth. You can purchase these strips on Amazon. The one pictured here is the one I use. You can also buy a 3M tape as well.
If you are worried you will suffocate, like I did at first, you can put those fears to rest by trying it during the day for 15 minutes at a time and see how it works for you. I actually find it kind of calming at night and am really enjoying the practice.
Now if you have any obstructive airway issues or any other issues that might concern you, please check with your doctor first before mouth taping.
There are many benefits to mouth taping, including:
1) improved sleep quality – when your mouth is closed, you breathe through your nose which filters the air more effectively and results in a deeper, more restful sleep;
2) reduced snoring – since your mouth is taped shut, the air passages in your throat are less likely to vibrate which can reduce or eliminate snoring;
3) better oral health – keeping your mouth closed allows saliva to do its job of cleansing your teeth and gums, and also helps to prevent dry mouth which can lead to cavities and gum disease;
4) improved jaw alignment – when your mouth is closed, your jaw is able to rest in its natural position which can help to reduce TMJ symptoms (pain and clicking/popping of the jaw);
5) increase your intake of nitric oxide, which is crucial for brain function, cardiovascular health, and overall blood oxygen levels;
There are numerous other benefits of mouth taping, but these are just a few of the most notable ones. If you are ready and willing to give it a try, please let me know how it goes!