Tips for staying healthy during the Holidays!
It's that time of year again where the holidays are upon us and we all know what that means… time to overindulge! Did you know that it's also the time where doctors see the most heart attacks occurring more than any other season.* But just because it's the holiday season doesn't mean we have to abandon our healthy eating habits. In fact, now is the perfect time to focus on staying healthy and fit so we can fully enjoy all the deliciousness the holidays have to offer without feeling guilty.
Here are some tips for staying healthy over the holidays:
1) Don't skip meals: It can be tempting to want to save up your calories for all the holiday parties and feasts, but this is actually a recipe for disaster. Skipping meals will only make you more likely to overeat later. Instead, try to eat smaller meals throughout the day so you're not starving by the time you sit down to eat.
2) Make healthy swaps: Just because it's the holidays doesn't mean you have to indulge in all the unhealthy foods. There are plenty of healthier alternatives that are just as delicious. For example, swap out your usual sugary dessert for a fruit salad or yogurt. You can also trade in your chips and dip for carrot sticks and hummus, or have a delicious fiber filled smoothie before you go so you won't be as tempted to indulge.
3) Get moving: Exercise is always important, but it becomes even more crucial during the holiday season when we tend to be more sedentary. Make sure to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day, even if it's just a brisk walk around the block.
4) Drink in moderation: Alcohol can quickly turn holiday cheer into a calorie-laden nightmare. If you do drink, try to stick to light beers or wine and avoid sugary mixed drinks. And always make sure to drink plenty of water in between alcoholic beverages to stay hydrated.
5) Eat mindfully: One of the best ways to enjoy the holiday season without packing on the pounds is to eat mindfully. This means being aware of what you're eating and savoring each bite. Pay attention to how your body feels after eating certain foods and stop when you're no longer hungry. It's also important to listen to your cravings and indulge in moderation.
By following these tips, you can enjoy the holiday season without sacrificing your health. So go ahead and indulge in all the festive foods and drinks, just do it in moderation! And don't forget to stay active so you can burn off all those extra calories.